Military Sweethearts
Welcome to Military Sweethearts also known as MSH! I am Amber your Admin/Creator here I created MSH almost a year ago to help Military Wives,Fiances && Girlfriends to have a place to go an vent,get support an advice as well as make new friends. Come on in an sit on down Read && Sign the Rules,Post an Intro so we know who you are an Jump in on posting :) Working with me to keep the forum going is Crys && Samantha they are Mods here an we are all here to help you. Looking forward to getting to know each an everyone of you.

<3 Amber
Military Sweethearts
Welcome to Military Sweethearts also known as MSH! I am Amber your Admin/Creator here I created MSH almost a year ago to help Military Wives,Fiances && Girlfriends to have a place to go an vent,get support an advice as well as make new friends. Come on in an sit on down Read && Sign the Rules,Post an Intro so we know who you are an Jump in on posting :) Working with me to keep the forum going is Crys && Samantha they are Mods here an we are all here to help you. Looking forward to getting to know each an everyone of you.

<3 Amber
Military Sweethearts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Come in, sit down, relax && talk with like minded Military Spouses, Girlfriends, Fiances && Family Members

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Make sure you tell your friends about us. :)
Welcome to Military Sweethearts. Come in, sit down,and put your feet up.
We have a facebook page. Search: Military Sweehearts
We also have a Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/militarsweethearts2010

ID CARD INFORMATION SOME THINGS YOU MAY NOT KNOW

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ArmywifeNMom97
ArmywifeNMom97

ID CARD INFORMATION SOME THINGS YOU MAY NOT KNOW  Empty
PostSubject: ID CARD INFORMATION SOME THINGS YOU MAY NOT KNOW    ID CARD INFORMATION SOME THINGS YOU MAY NOT KNOW  Empty2011-01-22, 09:18

Hubby and I were talking about a few things and he pulled this information together for me..
I was asking a question about copying ID CARDS AND HE SAID IT IS A NO NO
That it is.. He had talked to the people at DEERS and they even said it is prohibited.

So here is what he pulled together for me to share
I have copied what he had pulled together for me..
He did not write this.. HE reworded some areas

Regulation and federal statute make it clear that copying your military ID card is prohibited. Many institutions don’t know the law and ask for a photo copy of a military ID card because that is the way they have always done it. You cannot be denied service by failing to provide a photocopy of your military ID card. We are aware of reality and many establishments will put up a fight. The biggest hurdle is those establishments who have always photocopied military ID cards, don’t know the law and refuse to listen. A driver’s license will suffice along with “showing” a military ID card or a written statement of verification of military service which can be provided by your chain of command. If the establishment still demands a copy, simply take your business elsewhere. Certain military/government agencies that require a photocopy of a military ID card (i.e. TRICARE / Veterans Administration) do so “FOR OFFICAL USE ONLY” and therefore should not be grouped into “commercial establishments.” Although the law is not agency-specific about the photocopying of ID cards, one could make a logical assumption that the photocopy would be safeguarded in accordance with government regulations. Asking for military/government identification is totally permissible by commercial establishments, however many DoD personnel are unaware of the prohibition on duplication of government identification. There are no safeguards in place to ensure a government identification card won’t be counterfeited or “cloned” based on a photocopy by a commercial establishment. Criminal elements and terrorist organizations place U.S. government identification as a high value logistic item when planning acts against the U.S. military. Military/DoD members should provide a state drivers license or other form of photo identification to be photocopied if an establishment insists on a photocopy of identification. The following are the regulation and US Code that contain this prohibition.

REGULATION NUMBER:
AIR FORCE INSTUCTION 36-3026_IP, Volume 1; ARMY REGULATON 600-8-14; BUPERSINSTRUCTION 1750.10C; MARINE CORPS ORDER 5512.11D; COMMANDANT INSTRUCTION M5512.1A; NOAA CORPS DIRECTIVES, CHAPTER 1, PART 5; COMMISSIONED CORPS MANUAL 29.2; INSTRUCTIONS 1 AND 2

DATED:
17 JUNE 2009

TITLE:
IDENTIFICATION CARDS FOR MEMBERS OF THE UNIFORMED SERVICES, THEIR ELIGIBLE FAMILY MEMBERS, AND OTHER ELIGIBLE PERSONNEL

BY ORDER OF:
THE SECRETARIES OF THE AIR FORCE, THE ARMY, THE NAVY, THE MARINE CORPS, HOMELAND SECURITY, COMMERCE, HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES

PDF Page 38:
1.7. Penalties for Misuse of ID Cards. Any person willfully altering, damaging, lending, counterfeiting or using ID cards in an unauthorized manner is subject to fine, imprisonment, or both according to Title 18, U.S.C., Sections 499, 506, 509, 701, or 1001.

1.8. Photographing, Reproducing or Unauthorized Possession of ID Cards. Title 18, U.S.C., Section 701 prohibits photographing, reproducing, or possessing Uniformed Services ID cards in an unauthorized manner under penalty of fine, imprisonment or both. 1.8.1. Unauthorized use would exist if the bearer uses the card in a manner that would enable the bearer to obtain benefits and privileges to which he or she is not entitled.

1.8.1.1. The cardholder may allow photocopying of their ID card to facilitate DoD benefits. Photocopying is prohibited in all other instances; furthermore, the photocopy shall not be used as substitute for an ID card.

1.8.1.2. Sample ID cards, not the actual size, may be posted on a PKI enabled web sites, however, they shall not be posted on public web sites.

The Web site for this can be found at http://www.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFI36-3026(I).pdf

TITLE 18 U.S.C. § 701: U.S. Code – Section 701:
Official badges, identification cards, other insignia.

“Whoever manufactures, sells or possesses any badge, identification card or other insignia of the design prescribed by the head of any department or agency of the United States for use by any officer or employee thereof, or any colorable imitation thereof, or photographs, prints, or in any other manner makes or executes any engraving, photograph, print, or impression in the likeness of any such badge, identification card, or other insignia, or any colorable imitation thereof, except as authorized under regulations made pursuant to law, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.”

This law is part of the U.S. Code is and currently published by the U.S. government and reflects the law passed by Congress as of Jan. 8, 2008. The Web site for this can be found at http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/18C33.txt.

For further information contact your servicing legal office or you’re supporting IG office. As always, Be Right and Go Forward, in the IG office we are here to help.
Back to top Go down

ID CARD INFORMATION SOME THINGS YOU MAY NOT KNOW
Page 1 of 1